"Touch therapy is one of the best ways to heal the insults to the body, mind, and spirit."
~ Gayle MacDonald, author
There are many
possible and often documented benefits of massage on the major body systems:
- Can increase or decrease joint mobility
- Often relieves constipation
- Aids ability to breathe (relieves tension in the neck, upper chest, and abdomen allowing great ease of movement)
- Helps strengthen the immune system (stimulates lymphocytes - natural killer cells)
- Relaxes and calms (parasympathetic response) or stimulates (sympatheric response) nervous system depending on type of massage
- Aids the body's natural ability to fight pain and increase a positive mood (releases and raises endorphin levels)
- Aids proprioception (how the body sees itself in space, it relays info to the spinal cord and brain)
- Provides a safe and easy release from frustration and hyperactive behavior
- Reduces swelling (edema)
- Reduces the negative effects of PMS
- Assists the body in rebuilding tissue (from burns, scars...)
- Aids superficial blood circulation
- Aids in restful sleep patterning
- Assists in the balancing of hormones
massage is not recommended for certain types of conditions or situations.
The following is for information purposes only.
It is intended to show the possible and often documented benefits of massage
or touch therapy for children already diagnosed with one of the following conditions or disorders: